Gorgeous Green House Tours: Plantbaby Studio

Happy to start off my 2018 blogging year with “Gorgeous Green House Tours” featuring Plantbaby Studio aka The Jungleloft. Owner and designer Jenny Morris is the lovely plantlady behind the shop where you can buy vintage-inspired, beaded and macrame plant hangers, vintage planters and accessories. Jenny also teaches macrame workshops right from her 800 sq foot Jungleloft in Toronto’s West End. If you follow her on Instagram, no doubt you're just as enamored as I am with her plantfilled apartment.

In this interview, Jenny shares her passion for plants, her favourites, some plant care tips. and of course, plantiful photos.


Could you please tell us a bit about you and how your passion for plants began?
I inherited my first plant from my landlord when I moved into my first single apartment. It was dying and I felt instantly drawn to revive it, and I have managed to keep in alive...!

Then I got a job as a creative office assistant where one of my jobs was to take care of hundreds of plants! I really enjoyed the process of tending to them, and I've always loved interior design and the role plants play in a space. The essential element of any great room, in my opinion, is lots of greenery! Bringing the outdoors in is always where I start when decorating a new space and now I create and sell plant accessories to make them look even better in your home.




When did you start collecting houseplants?
I really started collecting plants about 4 years ago. It's been fun to watch some of my plants grow up with me.

What is/are your favorite houseplants, and why? 
I am a little too in love with my fiddle leaf fig. It turns out the Instagram world loves it too! You can see it all over my feed (especially herehere and here!) I raised this plant from a small bush into a 5 foot tree. It's beautiful, modern and easy to care for when you give it what it really wants (light!!)



Which room/s in your home has the most plants?
I live in a loft in Toronto so it's one large room! I mainly pile all my plants beside my two large windows (South facing light!) where they are the happiest. When it comes to plants, you have to collaborate. Design magazines will tell you to put your plants on nightstands, beside couches, at the front of the door. But if that's not where the best light is, your plant will not thrive. You have to work together.

Do you have a particular routine in caring for your plants?
I am constantly checking up on my plants. If I notice one looking a bit sad, I'll stick my finger in the soil to check if it needs water. I know my plants are ready to water when I stick my finger in the soil about an inch and it's a touch moist but almost dry. I always water from the bottom (make sure to get a pot with a hole in the bottom!). The amount you water will depend on a few factors, but I do the finger test every week or so, and always check on my plant babies before taking a trip and I give them all a good soak about once a week.




In your experience, what has been the most challenging/difficult plant to care for?
I used to think I'd never meet a plant I didn't like until I brought home a Burro's Tail (a trailing succulent plant). I hate this plant! Every time I go near it, the succulents fall right off. I can't even breathe around it without it falling to pieces. I need a plant I can rough around a bit!

What plant/s is or are still in your wishlist?
A monstera!

Do you have pets and how do you keep them safe from plants which be harmful for them?
I sadly don't have any pets! But I do sell hanging planters in my store and recommend them for anyone with pets who can't stay away!




Where do you usually shop for plants or what are your favorite plantshops to visit?
I get most of my plants from small greenhouses outside of the city.

What tips can you give those who want to start caring for plants at home?
Start small and listen to your plants - they will inform you of what they need by the way they look and the how their soil feels. Bring a small plant home and put it on a stool or table near a window and make sure all of your pots have a drainage hole.

I find bigger plants are actually much easier to care for - they are hardier and less likely to suddenly die. But I recommend starting with a small cheap plant so you can learn how to read its cues. My first plant was a philodendron, which is a great place to start. You can read this instagram post I wrote for plant care tips.







Don't you just love Jenny's plant hangers and vintage planters? Her loft is pretty amazing, too, I must say! I adore everything about it - the high ceiling, big windows, brick walls, wooden floors, that mustard sofa. And of course, her beautiful plants all looking so green and healthy! How I wish I can come over and attend one of her macrame classes.

Which plants do you recognise from these photos, and which ones do you have at home? Hope you enjoyed this feature! Would love to read your comments :)

No comments:

Post a Comment